March 7, 2008

Sew and Tell!!

Being the grandma that I am...Tweedy knew to give me a sewing machine for Christmas this past year. I was soooo pumped and immediately bought all the stuff that goes with sewing, and figured out how to use my awesome machine. Those things are super complicated!! But once someone shows you what's what...it makes sense. My mother-in-law gave me a class gift certificate, and I finally used it this past week. It was a two day deal for beginners and we learned how to make a little girl's A-line dress. They let us walk around the store and pick out whatever material we wanted. THAT was the hardest part!! I picked a pink and white (I've been into pink lately haven't I...weird) gingham with white lining and white buttons. And oh my gosh..it's so cute. I made it in a size 2 and it's so teeny tiny. I think it would fit a 3 year old. I even brought it to work today to show one of the other sewing ladies in our office so she could tell me how cute it is. But she saw all my mistakes too. Boo. I thought the teacher said, "Only I would notice them." Once I figure out who to give it to I'm going to get her initials on it...or maybe a little bunny rabbit appliqué. Wouldn't that be so cute! (Gah..I'm aware I've said "cute" one too many times.) No more. Promise. Too bad I don't have a little girl. Maybe I'll save it for the next shower I go to...or maybe I'll just save it. ;)

Too bad Jayber can't fit in it. Or can he....



And then before we left last night the teacher says, "Now all of you should consider making another one on your own so you can LOCK IN how to do it." Maybe she was just trying to sell us material, but I fell for it. I bought some red and white gingham to do another A-line and I'm going to attempt the little boy's John John outfit. Supposedly since I can read the pattern now, I can do the boy one too, but we'll see. I have some good sewers in my life so if I get messed up they can help. The teacher also said that we will be able to whip these outfits out in 1 hour. I'm not so sure about that....it took me two hours just to cut out the patterns seen below! Boo. But I got to use my fun new pizza cutter/material cutter doo dah and the self healing mat thingy.

(I probably lost a reader with the hat...but I love the Tide!!)



(cut patterns = two hours)

Now back to knitting my baby pip hat! It has to be ready in 2 days. Ugh oh!

1 comment:

lg2006 said...

I really wish I had taken a sewing class. It can be really frustrating without knowing the basics. I CAN NOT use a pattern to save my life. UGH so kudos for you and that little dress is Presh!