March 20, 2008

Bad News....and Good News!

As you can see by the title this post is going to let all you in blog readers in on some good news and some bad news....referring to Knit You Some. As I've said before my husband, Tweedy, is an about to be doctor, which means he just finished med school and is about to start his residency. He doesn't have to start work until June 24th and since we're having to move our location to another lovely city in Alabama...we have decided to take advantage of this time and go on some trips!! Woohoo!! Tomorrow is my last day of work and then on March 24th we are on our way to China! What the? I know you're probably thinking...random. We're going with 3 other friends who have also recently finished med school and want to travel the world with us and we're pretty pumped up!! Unfortunately that means that my blog is going to suffer for the next 3 weeks until we come back. So hopefully I won't lose what readers I have and in 3 weeks....we'll be back in business!!



I know what you're all thinking...what about Jayber?! What about Knitting?! Ok maybe you weren't thinking that, but that's what I thought when we decided to go on this venture and it's all taken care of. Jayber is going to stay with my brother who lives in T-town and attends the University of Alabama. Oh goh...he's gonna come back all crazy I know. But I thought this option was wayyy better than the vet since the last time we got him back from there he was depressed for a week. And about the knitting - I can NOT sit on an airplane from here to Hong Kong without it so I've prepared a few projects that I'm going to be working on during that torment of a trip. I found this yarn from my stash and am going to do Tweedy some socks like I promised him forever ago. He requested chunky ones to wear under his boots while "in the woods." I have it in red too, so maybe I'll do red ones for yours truly.



I have also ordered this awesome Hip Hop Berroco yarn in Justus and am planning to do the XO UO cowl from Kate at KnitLit. I thought this looked like a good pattern to do on a plane even though I probably won't use it until next winter since it's 80 degrees in Alabama now.



I am still a little in shock that we are actually going to China and I'm going to see the Great Wall (pic from above), the site in Beijing for the summer Olympics, the Imperial Palace and other crazy things that my husband and his buddies have planned for us to do. They are all VERY adventurous and we are going to be "backpacking," which as I'm told means that I can't bring a hairdryer, straightener, shoes other than tennis shoes and everything else that I would normally bring on a trip. I'm always that girl at the airport who's suitcase is overweight and has to pay extra to get it on the plane so I'm not sure how this is going to work out. But we'll see!! Tweedy has me "mock packing" tonight so I can practice packing "only things I need." I'm not so sure about this roughing it in China thing, but I think it will be fun. I'll definitely post some pics when I get back but I probably won't be in them since I won't be looking very cute on this trip with air dried hair, no makeup and tennis shoes. I'm also a little nervous about the language barrier. I've heard that not that many Chinese people speak English over there and we should be prepared with a few necessary words like "hello" "food" "bathroom" etc...So we downloaded a language program and off we went to learn some Chinese. Tweedy played the first word on the list "hello" and we tried to repeat what the voice said and were like....ugh play it again. Played it again, we attempted to repeat the word and I am not kidding it was like our mouths could NOT make that noise. I don't know what we're going to do about that...I think we're going to just take one of those pocket translators where you can type in the English word, it will say the Chinese word and we'll talk to people through that. Hopefully we'll just find some who speak ENGLISH!

So...the bad news is that there will not be any new posts for a while, but the good news is that we'll be back and I'll have some fun pics and stories from CHINA!! Woohoo!!

2 comments:

lg2006 said...

YOu should totaly have spent some time with my china Starr family to learn to speak! They taught me lots when I was there. NE How!

Lauw.... (sp?) means mad/angry

lg2006 said...

oh and put me on the list for a cowl scarf thingy! THose are awesome