March 12, 2008

Recipe of the Week Part 2

Sorry for the delay! But for the recipe of this week I chose desert, since I'm having to make both of these little goodies for a wedding shower on Saturday. You're thinking "gah she has a lot of showers," I know right?! They're for people I like though...so that's ok. Anywho...my mom actually wrote these directions out and emailed them to me. I love how she explains stuff to me, especially recipes. They are in great detail..as you'll see below, and written for cooking dummies like me. I think she says 3 times to make sure the chess squares aren't too brown on top. HA! And I love how at the beginning she says "Recipe says chess squares, but I call them lemon squares," when there is not even anything lemon involved in this recipe! She cracks me up.

Without further ado:

This recipe says chess squares, but I call them lemon squares. It is a little different but I think it is better than lemon squares

Chess Squares

Bottom Layer

1 Butter golden Duncan Hines Cake Mix (this is the best but if you can't find it just use a yellow cake mix)
1 egg
1 stick butter softened
2 cups chopped pecans (you can leave this out but I like pecans)

Top Layer

8 oz cream cheese
2 eggs
3/4 box confect. sugar, sifted

Cream butter and egg and add cake mix. (Do in that mix master I gave you) Add pecans. Press in 9x13 Pyrex. Then do the top layer. Cream the cream cheese, eggs and add sugar. Spread over the bottom layer. Bake at 350 for 40 min. Cook until light brown. Watch it near the end because you don't want it to get too brown on top. You could cook it at 325 and it might not cook as fast and not get brown on top as fast. You just have to know how your oven does. Start checking it at 30 min. but you want a LIGHT brown color on top. Cool completely until cold and then cut. I like it a little gooey, but sometimes I don't cook it enough. But when it cools it will harden up some.


Chocolate Icing

You can use this for cupcakes, any sheet cake or brownies. It works best on a sheet cake or a flat surface because it is runny when you make it and it gets hard when it cools. You can pour it over a bundt cake, but let it cool some and then you have to keep scooping it up and putting it back on. Anyway the flat surface works the best because when it cools it hardens and looks smooth and shiny. If you try to spread it after it cools it is not as smooth looking. You can make the regular recipe for brownies. Take them out while still hot and sprinkle mini marshmallows on top and put aluminum foil on top and let the marshmallows melt, then pour this chocolate on top while it is still warm. I make this recipe in a pot on the stove.

4 T cocoa (not hot chocolate, cocoa...It is Hersheys brand over in the flour, chocolate chip area it is a black and brown container)
6 T buttermilk
1 stick butter
1 t vanilla

Bring the first 3 ingredients to a boil. Remove the pan from the stove and add vanilla. Pour this mixture over your conf. sugar that you have sifted in another bowl. Stir immediately and pour over your brownies. Then lick the rest from the bowl until its gone. It is to die for and so easy!!

2 comments:

lg2006 said...

LOL does she read the blog? I will ALWAYS remember that she cooks and freezes like 47 million things. She is very efficient that one.and I also am reminded still quite often how good all the food was at my shower!

Marlee said...

She really does freeze everything. She has 4 freezers. Not kidding! She hasn't made it to the blogging world yet...but she has figured out how to email! So she sends me 1 million forwards a day.